Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Smonk by Tom Franklin

Smonk

by Tom Franklin


I honestly do not know what to say about this book.  Except that it was so twisted.  I don't even know how to rate it.  Some parts were wonderfully written, and Tom Franklin sure knows how to write interesting characters.  This is my second book by Tom Franklin, after Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter.  I was not expecting this. 
It was gruesome, like something out of a Quentin Tarantino movie.  Including the random fountains of blood and body parts flying everywhere.
And the things these people do with glass eyeballs and gigantic facial moles...has no one heard of hygiene? Or decency?  Or just not being disgusting?


Even after all that, I kept reading because Smonk and Evangeline were the type of characters that you just have to keep reading about.  Even if you don't particularly like them.  But that's ok because there was no one in this book who was likeable.  Not even the children.
I liked the humor and obvious *nudge, nudge, wink, wink* that Tom Franklin wrote with.  Which reminded me again of Quentin Tarantino.  It was absurd and everyone, everyone had a fixation on penises.  

There were penises everywhere.  Not all of them were attached.
This isn't a book many people will like, unless they don't mind gruesome and twisted.  I thought it was hilarious.  Just, please, don't let your mother skim through it!  (Sorry mom)   

No comments:

Post a Comment