Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A Letter to My Cat by Lisa Erspamer

A Letter to My Cat

by

 

The follow-up to "A Letter to My Dog" takes on cats, with celebrities writing letters of love and gratitude to their beloved pet felines.
Alluring, elusive, mysterious--the cats in our lives are not always easy to get to know. But as with all pets, they have unique personalities and stories to tell. Alongside beautiful four-color photos of their cats, "A Letter to My Cat" collects personal letters from celebrities offering love and gratitude for all that their cats bring to their lives.
*I received an ARC copy from Netgalley*
 
I requested this book purely because it is about cats.  I love reading stories about how they've brightened the lives of their families or overcome terrible odds.  I love cats and will read just about anything about them.  I could probably fall very easily into 'crazy cat lady' territory.
 
 

 
 While I can understand the passing fancy to write your cat a letter (because letter writing is fun!) I just can't bring myself to give this book a very high rating.  Because while there are some very touching stories, most of them are just...too sweet and fluffy.  That's fine, but it's similar to listening to a stranger talk for hours about their uber-cute children.  You don't know these people and the cuteness factor wears off pretty quick.  Eventually you just want them to shut up and leave you be.

What I did love was the photographs of the cats.  Most of the cats are absolutely stunning.  The pictures alone are worth it.

There was one letter that made me sit in silence for a moment just because of how beautiful it was.  It was by a US Army Staff Sargent who rescued a cat from Afghanistan who was being abused repeatedly.  He snuck his new friend into the Army base, even though it was against the rules.  Not long after, several of the soldier's platoon mates were killed by a bomber.  His cat, Koshka, kept him from suicide and gave him hope for the future.

There are a lot of wonderful letters and the book gives a nice glimpse into the lives of other cat lovers.  It's worth reading if you like a lot of very sweet, sappy letters and a few deep ones, along with some beautiful photographs.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment