Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Awakening Foster Kelly by Cara Rosalie Olsen

Awakening Foster Kelly

by Cara Rosalie Olsen


If only a pile of wayward curls and the inability to stay on her feet were seventeen year-old Foster Kelly’s most pressing concerns. Unfortunately, stubborn hair and clumsiness is just the tip of it. It was only a mistake, but when at the age of five Foster is told “You don’t belong here” the result is one broken heart. These four carelessly spoken words have shaped and shadowed Foster, and now—a senior at Shorecliffs High School—she seeks the wallflower’s existence, denying herself the most casual of friendships, much too afraid that someone will see what Foster believes is certain: she does not belong anywhere – or with anyone. This reality would continue to suit her just fine, however . . .

Love has a long-standing history of undoing broken hearts.

Like a comet, an unexpected arrival knocks Foster out of the crowded, starry sky, sending her directly into the limelight. Exposed and afraid, she will attempt to regain anonymity; but it isn’t so easy now that someone is watching. He pursues this shy enigma, confronting Foster’s deepest fears head-on, and in the process falls wholly and completely in love with her. But there is something he is not saying; a secret capable of certain ruin. There are two probable outcomes: either he will break her heart once and for all, or he will heal it.

In the end, though, it is Foster who must decide if she is worth mending.





What to say about this book?
I read this one because the author reached out to me through GR and asked if I would review her book. It sounded pretty good so I went for it.

This book was way too long for the type of story it is. Everything was described in detail. And I mean everything.


Almost every time a new character was introduced there was a flashback to show how the MC had first met them. There were dream sequences that lasted for pages and pages and added nothing to the story or character development. I kept waiting for something to happen. Was there a reason for this book to be so long? I understand that it was supposed to be character-driven, but even character-driven novels have to have a basic plot. There was no rising action, no payoff, nothing to keep my attention. This book wandered a lot, got lost a few times, and then rushed to the finish.

Did we really need 679 pages about a shy girl who does nothing but go to school, talk to her friends, and fantasize about the cute boy who's been giving her some attention? That's it. That's the entire story in a nutshell. I didn't stop reading, though, because I had heard about a surprise twist that had people shocked and awed and they said things like "OMG that was so good!"

Really? Really?? The twist didn't add anything to the story, it only undermined everything we've read so far!

I also had a big problem with the writing style. It was too contrived and it didn't feel natural at all.

“The moral debate was suddenly not so much a debate, but a reproving outcry, derived from a very distant part of my mind I currently paid very little attention to. As I crept closer to the ajar door, an instinct like nothing I had ever felt took over. Tiptoeing softly, I took care not to drag the soles of my feet. I nearly ruined everything when I lost my balance, and was forced to clench my teeth to avoid making any noise. Despite my best efforts to quiet my landing, my hands slapped noisily against the wall as I steadied myself. Cringing and palpitating, I waited to see if someone would emerge from the room. When that didn’t happen, I permitted myself a rewarding gasp of oxygen and bent at the waist to catch my breath. With a moue, I stared at the objects responsible for my trouble- my two hapless feet.”

This is one paragraph from a scene where she is sneaking down the school hallway to eavesdrop on a conversation. The entire sneaking scene takes up several pages. Several. Pages. O.o




*beyond irritated*

No comments:

Post a Comment