Pages

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

After The Fall by L.A.Witt

After The Fall

by L.A. Witt

After years of saving every penny, Nathan has finally managed to buy the horse of his dreams. He’s looking forward to a summer of exploring the Colorado mountain trails above Tucker Springs with Tsarina. But on their very first ride, a motorcyclist makes a wrong turn, scaring Tsarina into bolting and leaving Nathan with a broken leg, a broken hand, and a ruined summer.

Ryan is a loner and a nomad, content with working odd jobs before moving on to the next town. Feeling guilty for causing the accident that leaves Nathan in two casts, Ryan offers to keep Tsarina exercised until Nathan heals.

Despite their bad start, Nathan and Ryan soon become friends . . . and then much more. But with a couple of nasty breakups in his past, Nathan doesn’t want feelings getting involved—especially knowing that Ryan will never settle down. But since when do feelings ever listen to reason?
 
 
I received an ARC copy of this book from the publisher for review.
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I actually did.  I love hurt/comfort themes, and any book involving horses usually rates high on my list.  But here's the thing:  I was bored.
The beginning was great and the set up to this romance was interesting.  I thought I was going to remain interested through the whole thing and finish the book with some amount of satisfaction.  After the first few chapters, though, I realized that I was getting restless and wanted to read something different.  Not a good sign.  It seemed that after a certain point, there wasn't much going on that hasn't happened in every single chapter so far:  Nathan gets help going down the stairs, they go visit Tsarina, they go to a restaurant to eat, they talk too long and leave the restaurant late, Nathan gets help going up the stairs, he crashes on the couch.  Rinse.  Repeat.  Add in some sex scenes about halfway through and go through everything again. 
Speaking of those scenes, I thought there were too many and after a while I just started skipping them.  I do the same with any type of romance that tries to tell you how much the characters feel about each other by the amount of sex they have.  It makes their relationship seem one-dimensional and I get tired of having to skip ahead.
The characters themselves were kind of...meh.  There wasn't much emotional depth to them and it left me disappointed.  
I regained a small amount of interest in the last two chapters, but not enough to make me want to read it again. 
 
2/5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment