Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Ghoul Goblin

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Ghoul Goblin

by Jim Butcher


Harry Dresden, a Chicago private investigator and wizard, heads to a small, isolated Missouri town terrorized by Nevernever monsters. The singularly unfortunate Talbot family has suffered a curse that has decimated their number for generations, and only our hero can save them... that is, if he can survive hostile lawmen, the dark secrets of townsfolk, an ancient guardian spirit, and two deadly carnivores! Can Dresden cleanse the Talbot bloodline of its curse without a blood sacrifice of his own?

I received an ARC copy of this book for review.
I think this is the first actual comic book that I've ever read.  I requested it because anything Jim Butcher touches turns to gold, and his Dresden Files are amazing.  I wasn't sure about a Harry Dresden comic book but I wanted to give it a try.  I am so glad that I did.
The artwork was stunning and the artist did a wonderful job of capturing the emotions of the characters.  I couldn't stop looking through the pages even though I had so many other things I was supposed to be doing.  Instead of going through a quarter of the book a day, as was my plan, I read the entire thing in one sitting.  It wasn't very long, but still.
The story line was just as exciting as I had expected from Jim Butcher.  I loved the twists the story took as I made my way to the end.  Some things I guessed, some things took me completely by surprise, and it was worth every minute I spent reading it. 
Am I suddenly going to become a comic book connoisseur?  Probably not, though I'm willing to try some others.  And I'll definitely be picking up any comic books based on the Harry Dresden world.     
I especially loved Jim Butcher's series summary hidden in the back.  There were moments when his wry 'check this shit out' writing made me crack up. It was wonderful.  Definitely recommended for fans of the Dresden Files series or anyone who loves a good comic book.

5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment